Summer is officially over, and the cold fall temperatures are setting in. This is the best time to make sure that your home is ready for all that the new seasons have to offer. Keep these home maintenance tips in mind to ensure that you and your home are ready for the dropping temperatures.
- Check all the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in your home to ensure that they’re working properly. Replace any alarms that are malfunctioning or outdated.
- Check the weather stripping around all of your doors and windows throughout your home. Replace any that are missing or broken to ensure that the cold, outside temperatures do not creep into your home.
- Properly insulate all the pipes in your home to help prevent the pipes from freezing and cracking in the cold temperatures.
- Hire a professional to check your furnace to ensure that it’s working properly and will keep you warm all season long.
- Clean out your chimney and fireplace. Any built up soot in your chimney can easily catch fire and cause dangerous carbon monoxide to build up in your home.
- Clean out fallen leaves and other debris from your rain gutters. Clogged drains can easily cause water to back up and damage your roof and walls. Also make sure that the downspout is faced away from your house so that water doesn’t damage your foundation.
- Check your roof from any missing or damaged shingles. If you find any, make sure to replace them as soon as possible to make sure the cold, wet season doesn’t damage your roof.
Fall is also the perfect time to look over your homeowner insurance policy to ensure that you have the right amount of protection! Contact Kurt Rolf Insurance Agency in Hopkins, Minnesota for all of your homeowners’ insurance needs.