Thanksgiving is just a couple of days away, which means it is time to make sure you have all the right ingredients for your family’s secret turkey recipe! While cooking a delicious turkey dinner this holiday, it is vital to know how to stay safe while in the kitchen. Keep these Thanksgiving safety tips in mind to ensure everyone has a safe holiday.
- Before you start cooking, clean your stove and oven. Built up grease can easily start a fire.
- Never leave your house while you are cooking. If you are cooking anything on the stove, make sure to always stay in the kitchen so that you can keep an eye on your food.
- Create a “no kids zone” in your kitchen that is at least three feet away from the stove and oven. Children can easily be injured from boiling water and splattering grease.
- Keep all flammable objects away from the stove, such as potholders, food packages, towels, and bags to prevent a fire from starting.
- Keep the floor of your kitchen free from any obstacles, such as purses and toys. Also, be sure to keep your pets out of the kitchen to avoid tripping over them.
- Check the smoke alarms throughout your home to ensure that they are working properly. Replace any alarms that are outdated or that are not working.
- Make sure you have a fire extinguisher that is rated for grease fires nearby and ensure that multiple people know how to use it.
- Before you go to bed at the end of the day, check your appliances once more to be sure they are turned off.
Kurt Rolf Insurance Agency would like to wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!