Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.
While many of us are already enjoying the delights that come with fall – the pumpkins, the cooler temperatures, and staying in the warm, cozy home – there are some important considerations to make during autumn. The major one is a silent killer that could be lurking in your home: carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless and colorless gas produced by burning material containing carbon. Carbon monoxide can be produced by the common household appliance when not properly ventilated. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea, fatigue, and other flu-like symptoms. Prolonged exposure to CO in the home can cause brain damage and, in severe cases, death.
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, follow these safety tips:
Install a carbon monoxide detector. If you have one in your home already, test it to make sure it is properly functioning and change the batteries if needed.
If you have fuel-burning appliances such as a furnace, boiler, or gas fireplace, hire a professional to inspect and clean the appliance. He or she will be able to ensure it is in good working order for the season and make any repairs that are necessary.
Never use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside a home, garage or vehicle, unless is it specifically designed for use in an enclosed space.
Do not operate a portable generator or any other gasoline engine-powered tool either in or near an enclosed space such as a garage, house, or other building. These appliances, even when the doors and windows are open, can trap CO quickly, allowing it to reach lethal levels.
Along with checking that your home is free from carbon monoxide poisoning, take the time to review your homeowners insurance. To secure the right policy for your needs, contact Kurt Rolf Insurance Agency. Our dedicated team serves your insurance needs in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Florida, South Dakota, and Arizona.