Use these tips to keep your personal information safe during the holidays.
Shopping online during the holidays is the best way to avoid the crowds at the mall. Unfortunately, it can also put your personal information at risk for being stolen. To help prevent identity theft this holiday season, keep these cyber security tips in mind.
- Keep your browser, all browser plug-ins, and anti-virus software up to date. Before you enter your credit card information, ensure that everything is updated to help minimize the chance that a hacker can access your information.
- Do not click on any ads or emails that promise anything for free. These phishing scams allow hackers to gain access to your computer and personal information.
- Only use a credit card to make online purchases. Don’t use a debit card. Try to use only one credit card so that you can closely monitor your statement and look for any discrepancies.
- Type in the actual website address into the browser when shopping online. Do not follow the links that are included in emails or posted on other websites since they could be links to phishing websites.
- Only enter your credit card information into secure websites. Check that the URL starts with “HTTPS” since the “s” shows that the website is secure.
- Never connect to public Wi-Fi when shopping online. Public Wi-Fi is much easier to hack into, which can compromise your personal information.
- Make sure all of your financial accounts are password protected with strong passwords. Strong passwords include uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
Having the right personal insurance policies in place can help to keep your personal information safe and secure throughout the holiday season. Contact Kurt Rolf Insurance Agency in Hopkins, Minnesota for all of your insurance coverage needs.