Safety Tips for You and Your Bike
While the festivities are over, the adverse winter weather is here to stay. Riding a motorcycle in bad weather can pose a challenge, even for the more experienced drivers. While you may not realize it, your driving habits may be making things more dangerous for your journey. To stay safe on your bike this winter, check out these tips.
Wet Weather-Proof Your Gear
- Make sure your visor/shield is clean and polished on the surface and inside. A clean and smooth exterior makes it possible for the raindrops to roll right off.
- Consider buying waterproof boots, a motorcycle rain suit, and waterproof gloves if there’s heavy rain in the forecast. The drier and more comfortable you are, the better you’re able to focus on the road.
Make Yourself Visible to Others
- In addition to wearing brightly colored clothing and reflective gear, use orange or yellow fog lights.
- Trigger your brake lights frequently to help drivers behind you spot your motorcycle.
- Use your low beam headlights when it’s difficult to see ahead.
Maintain Distance and Reduce Speed
- On wet and icy road surfaces, your stopping distance will increase. Be sure to leave plenty of room between yourself and the vehicle in front of you.
- Avoid sudden stops and engine braking as often as possible, as you’ll need to increase your reaction time.
- If you can’t see in front of you clearly, reduce your speed. This may seem obvious, but there’s a temptation to ride faster in an attempt to shorten your ride in bad weather.
It’s important to have a comprehensive policy that includes the right coverages, limits, and deductible for you and your bike. Make sure that your motorcycle has all the protection it needs this winter by contacting the professionals at Kurt Rolf Insurance Agency. Our dedicated team is ready to address all your motorcycle insurance needs in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Florida, South Dakota, and Arizona.