Home Maintenance Tips
With the start of fall and winter, it is time to put away your flip flops and pull out your jackets and umbrella. The cooler weather also brings in the wet season, making it the perfect time to make sure that your house is safe from any flooding. Keep these home maintenance tips in mind to make sure that your basement is not ruined by a flood.
- Clear out any debris that is in your rain gutters and make sure that your downspouts are facing away from your house. Backed up rain gutters can easily cause water to back up into the walls of your house, causing serious damage.
- Make sure that all downspouts extend at least six feet away from the foundation of your house and that they are not connected to any underground dry wells or foundation footer drain tiles.
- Check your basement floor and walls for any cracks or damage, as well as the exterior foundation. If you find any small cracks, you can fill them with epoxy or masonry sealer. For any big issues, you should call in the professionals.
- During the first heavy rainstorm, take a look at your yard. If you find any water is pooling around your house, hire an excavation contractor or landscaper to direct the water in the opposite direction.
- Properly install a sump pump in your basement. During the rainy season, check the pump once a month to make sure that it is completely free of any debris.
It is important to keep in mind that your home insurance policy will not provide any coverage for damage that is done during a flood. Only a specific flood insurance policy can provide coverage. Contact Kurt Rolf Insurance Agency in Hopkins, Minnesota for all of your flood and homeowners insurance coverage needs.