Summer is upon us in Minnesota – keep safe from the sun!
Minnesota may be host to extreme winter weather, but that doesn’t stop the sun shining during the summer. The weather is heating up here in Hopkins, MN and that means that summer is well and truly here!
This season is ideal for hitting the beach, going on a hike, and enjoying the sunshine with friends and loved ones. While you enjoy the pool and outdoor fun, it’s important to take a few minutes to protect your skin from damaging effects of the sun. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States – but you can take steps to minimize your risk.
Keep your health in check in the sun:
- Stay in the shade when possible, especially during the midday hours when the sun is at its strongest.
- Wear hats with wide brims to shield your face, ears, and neck.
- Wear sunglasses with protection from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Drink plenty of water to compensate from sweating in the heat.
- Select clothes made with a tight weave as they protect better than clothes with a loose weave.
- Wear sunscreen (SPF 15 or higher).
Get the most out of your suntan lotion:
- Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside.
- Apply liberally and smooth in into your skin for maximum protection.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher. Children and babies should use a higher SPF (SPF 15 or more).
- Sunscreen loses its effectiveness over time, so discard bottles after 1-2 years.
- Reapply every two hours, or after getting wet or sweating heavily.
From the insurance professionals at Kurt Rolf Insurance Agency, we hope that you have a safe and fun summer! For the protection that you need to see you through summer and beyond, contact us in Hopkins, Minnesota for all of your insurance policies.