Distracted Driving and Auto Insurance Coverage
Driving while distracted is one of the most dangerous situations that you can put yourself in while behind the wheel. Not only will it put your life in danger, but it will also put others’ lives in danger. Knowing how to avoid distracted driving can help to ensure that you stay safe every time you are on the road.
There are three main types of distracted driving that you may encounter on the road, including:
- Manual – which is when you physically take your hands off of the wheel while driving.
- Visual – which is when you take your eyes off of the road.
- Cognitive – which is when you are thinking of something other than driving.
There are many risk factors that contribute to distracted driving. While most people think of cell phones as the only way to be distracted while driving, there are many other situations that can cause you to lose focus. Some of the most common risk factors of driving while distracted include:
- Certain activities – there are some activities that people may find themselves in such as eating, grooming, fiddling with the stereo, looking up directions, and sending or reading a text while behind the wheel, which will distract a driver for a much longer period of time.
- Age of drivers – less experienced, younger drivers who are under the age of 20 years old are at an increased risk of being involved in a fatal distracted driving crash.
- Link to drinking and driving – texting while driving has a strong connection to drinking and driving, or getting into a car with someone who has been drinking.
Having the right auto insurance coverage can help to ensure that you are protected in case of any unfortunate situation on the road. Contact Kurt Rolf Insurance Agency in Hopkins, Minnesota for all of your car insurance coverage needs.