Add your boat to your spring cleaning list!
As spring is well and truly upon us in Hopkins, Minnesota, be sure to prep your boat before heading on the waters for the first time this year! After a long and stationary winter, your boat will need some TLC before setting sail.
Proper boat maintenance keeps your boat performing at its best, all year long! So that you don’t hit rocky shores while out in the spring and summer seasons, complete these boat maintenance tips.
Get your boat running smoothly!
- Charge your battery – After sitting idle all winter, the battery life may be low, if not dead. Plug it in overnight to charge it, or purchase a new battery if necessary. Check the acid levels in the battery and top them off with distilled water.
- Fill up with fuel – After all, you don’t want to be stranded in the middle of the water.
- Test the brake lights – If you’re hauling your boat on a trailer, make sure the brake and signal lights are working.
- Inspect the engine – Make sure that all of the essential parts are in good, working condition! Look for loose hose clamps, replace the spark plugs, inspect belts, cables, and hoses for any cracks, and check the impeller to make sure it’s not too worn.
- Clean the exterior – Use a mild detergent and add a coat of wax.
- Stock up on essentials – Double check life jackets and review other safety gear is all in place and in good condition!
If you’re planning on sailing this spring, be sure to put these tips into practice before taking your boat out. While you’re at it, review your boat insurance to confirm that you have optimum coverage for your finances and needs! For a personalized policy, contact Kurt Rolf Insurance Agency in Hopkins, Minnesota.